Introduction to the TBR Pile

My TBR pile is even more out of control than usual. I think this week I will take pictures of the various places I have TBR books stashed – and there are multiple places. It's daunting.

I have the books vaguely prioritized into the following categories:

Books I REALLY REALLY want to read SOON.

Books I REALLY want to read SOON.

Books I want to read soon.

Books I want to read at some point.

Books I want to read eventually.

I received a reader request to pull the curtain back on the TBR list and reveal a bit of what's on there. So, i think I will start a regular feature where I list some of the books in the top categories, above, and why they are on the list.

This is also a way to pay back the publicists who have kindly sent me review copies, because while I may not review the books soon, at least I can give them some visibility. Also, it's a good way to get some reader feedback on these books. Do they deserve to be on the TBR list?

So here are a few books on the I REALLY REALLY want to read SOON list.

1. Carolyn Parkurst, The Nobodies Album. I talked about this book on the blog here, and want to read it in part because I enjoyed her earlier book Lost and Found, which is a fictionalized account of contestants on a show like "The Amazing Race". I opted not to pick this one up this week after just finishing This One Is Mine, because I wanted a change from the LA setting.

2. Bonnie Burnard, Suddenly. I can't believe I haven't gotten to this one yet. Burnard is a Canadian writer, and I was so excited to get my hands on this copy early. I loved her book A Good House (which I read many, many years ago) and this one looks great too.

3. Lionel Shriver, So Much for That. I went to Lionel's book reading in March, and I love Lionel Shriver, so this one is high on the list.

4. Kim Wright, Love in Mid-Air. I am reading this for the Manic Mommies May book club. Thought it looked interesting.

Let me know what you've read and whether these books should be on the top of the TBR list!

Share on FacebookShare on Google+Share on LinkedInTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on RedditShare on StumbleUponEmail this to someone

• May 3, 2010 - 7:55 am | Permalink

I love your new system! :) And, I REALLY, REALLY liked So Much for That, so its place on your list is well-deserved!

• May 3, 2010 - 8:25 am | Permalink

My books are stored in a similar system. My husband keeps asking me about it and I tell him it’s a super secret system that only I can understand.
    Of the books you’ve mentioned, the only one I’ve read is Love in Mid-Air and it’s pretty good.

• TLB
    May 3, 2010 - 12:23 pm | Permalink

So great to see this – can’t wait for the visuals!!

• May 3, 2010 - 12:25 pm | Permalink

I posted about this the other day as well. There are so many great books coming out in May/June that I find myself in a bit of a pickle. Timewise, I can do it but some you need to be in the perfect mood for, which makes it a bit more challenging.

• May 3, 2010 - 2:10 pm | Permalink

Ha, I like the “Books I want to read eventually” category. I think most books in existence could fall under that header, because in theory, I’d like to read most anything.

• Kiki
    May 3, 2010 - 8:24 pm | Permalink

I’m definitely going to read some Lionel Shriver this summer! I can’t wait to hear what you think of this one!

• May 5, 2010 - 10:22 am | Permalink

I think we all have these TBR issues. I hope you get to the books you are looking forward to soon.

• Darby Lohrding
    May 6, 2010 - 9:11 pm | Permalink

I am so glad that I am not the only one with the word “really” repeated repeatedly in the title of my tbr piles!!!!
    Oh, and by gosh don’t you dare touch one of my piles or try to move it…the world will probably end!!! ;-*
    Darby
    darbyscloset at yahoo dot com